Menstrating with first OB

HSV-1, HSV-2, Cold Sores or Fever Blisters

Menstrating with first OB

Postby 2littleones » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:36 am

Ok, so it's my first official outbreak.

I'm feeling miserable with myself for the mistakes I made before I married my husband. We've been together for 10 years. I haven't cheated on him, nor he on me. I'm tested every couple years for all STDs except for herpes. I'm kind of a hypochondriac and have done the same thing every other year I have a physical...

Anyway last Tuesday I started getting the sores I get with a yeast infection. Only this time they were not clearing up after treatment and getting worse. So the dr said to try the cream instead of oral tab.

By this time I could not let myself pee and I started bleeding quite heavily with my period. The sores are now by far so bad that even the blood running over is causing extreme pain. So I went to the STD clinic. The nurse there said that visually it looks like HSV. She tried to take a culture but too much blood and pain so more than likely no definitive result on that front. I did get blood work done too, so hopefully there will be enough to say I have HSV2. I already know I have HSV1.

Now on Monday I started my first dose of Valtrex 1000mg 2x daily for 10 days. I noticed that the next morning it was easier to pee! That after 2 doses! By the end of the day and the 3rd dose I was feeling worse! It's hurting like a mofo. No other way to describe it! Is this normal?

Now the rest of my questions are,
How many other woman have had their first OB while on their period? I can't find much info on this!

It's been a week of sores and they are so much more worse because they grew to the point they've become one, how do I know when they've started to heal? They're not growing any more, as far as I can tell. Every time I move it feels like I'm ripping open a new sore, but there are none.

Did any one else start to feel tingling down the back of you're thigh after starting Valtrex? Possibly a new OB?

I know it's long but I can't sleep I'm in so much pain!
2littleones

Re: Menstrating with first OB

Postby LustforLife » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:30 pm

welcome to the forum.

the first thing i'm going to say is, "stop blaming yourself!" you've been married 10 yrs, and neither of you have (apparently) ever been tested for herpes. plus, you don't know for sure if you even have it.

first obs are usually the worst, and can be extremely painful. it's known that menstrual cycles can cause recurrent obs, so i don't know why they couldn't cause a primary ob. this is related to stress.

here are some ideas for relief:
- take a squirt bottle and squirt water on your lady parts while peeing.
- take a sitz bath as needed (just fill the bath about 5-6 inches with lukewarm water - increase temperature as tolerated)
- put an ice pack on your lady parts (over undies or clothes). awkward? use a bag of frozen veggies.
- ask your doc for an Rx for lidocaine ointment (topical anesthetic).

How many other woman have had their first OB while on their period?

no clue. but you're probably not the first.

how do I know when they've started to heal?

i'm pretty sure that, like most blisters, they will either pop or resorb. let them do whichever on their own, if possible. eventually they'll start to dry out. keep the area dry, but if you are still in pain i'd keep using the ointment.

Did any one else start to feel tingling down the back of you're thigh after starting Valtrex? Possibly a new OB?

i don't know. but tingling is associated with an ob, and it's location depends on which nerve is infected (which could have branches that go down your leg). i doubt it's a new ob if you're still in the first one. i have heard people say their first ob had multiple symptoms that arose at different times. you should mention this symptom to your doc.

hopefully, someone else will come by to give you their personal take. meanwhile, keep your chin up, because it's going to get better.
“Always look on the bright side of life.”

Robin Williams on Fukitol

Lust for Life
LustforLife
Stats Guru

Postby 2littleones » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:09 am

Thanks!

You're right we've never been tested. Without any visible obs the doc said that it was pointless because we've both had cold sores.

For the last two days I've finally been able to sit in a bath and it seems to be making a difference. My sores have been feeling like I'm continually pulling at a scab. Unfortunately I can't see if I am or not. The nurse at the clinic said more than likely I am since my sores are probably healing inside to out.

I did ask about a numbing cream but because there is a fear of spreading she said it was better not to.

I'm to the point now where it hurts to pee but not like on the weekend where I cried and swore! Some of my sores hurt more than others but I can manage to walk around a bit more. It seems like I'm good for a few hours then I'm back to pain. Like I said before it's manageable but still hurts like a mofo.

Thanks again for responding!
2littleones

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:17 am

lust for life gave you tons of good advice and info.
keep taking the antiviral and wait it out. all you can do. a glass of wine helps if you're into that sort of thing. :grin:
Procrastination isn't the problem, it's the solution. So procrastinate now, don't put it off. ~Ellen DeGeneres
Elizabeth
Amazon Blonde

Postby 2littleones » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:18 am

Lust for life, I cannot thank you enough for your response!
Elizabeth, the alcohol helped....when I eventually decided I waited long enough :razz:

It's been almost two years. I've been on the antiviral for most of that time. My husband took a little bit to get over it, but he did. We did a lot of research together. It helped us both to accept the fact that I have hsv2.

We've moved on to having sex without condoms. I still have a minor panic attack thinking that I've passed it on to him, every now and then. So far, no obs for him. He loves me still and made the decision himself to not wear a condom. I think that the stats being low for a woman to pass to a male helped with that. Which is why I'm still doing suppressive therapy. He's told me I could stop but I'm still a worry wart at heart.

This forum has been so helpful over the last 18 months. The first six after my initial ob especially! Thank you to everyone that posts! You probably can't comprehend the amount of support I feel from everyone's posts!

I'll try and be a little more active in posting and updating!
2littleones

Postby LustforLife » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:27 pm

glad to hear your good news.

just wondering - how do you know it's hsv2? did you get a positive blood test?
“Always look on the bright side of life.”

Robin Williams on Fukitol

Lust for Life
LustforLife
Stats Guru

Return to Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV)